SatSleeve Data Usage
Understanding Mobile Satellite Data
Before you enable data on your device, it is important that you understand how mobile satellite data works. The information below explains more about mobile satellite data. This is only intended as a guide for how much data you might use, and the approximate amounts involved with certain online activities.
What can I access?
- Email (via your mobile Outlook client)
- Webmail (Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, etc)
- Instant Messaging (MSN, Skype, etc) – text and small photo (kB) only.
- Search (Google, etc)
- Assisted GPS
- Social Networking (Facebook, Twitter) – text and small photo (kB) only.
How much satellite data will I use?
As a guide, please see the approximate figures below:
- Viewing an email without attachments: Approx 1MB each
- Viewing a basic webpage: Approx 0.5MB each
How can I reduce my data costs?
To reduce your data costs and improve your internet experience when using your SatSleeve – try the following tips:
- Turn off automatic updates on your smartphone
- Avoid large downloads such as pictures or music while in satellite mode
- When emailing or messaging, reduce the size of the images to decrease the overall message size
- Use mobile versions of websites and apps (eg Facebook, Twitter, etc) rather than desktop versions
- Use web browsers that offer the option of text only browsing or use websites that convert into text only pages
- Keep SatSleeve data turned off within the SatSleeve app. Switch it on only when you need to access data.