Pivotel Troubleshooting FAQs
The handset is not connecting to the network, how do I get the handset to work?
If you have received confirmation of your connection to Pivotel Satellite, your service is ready to use. You should ensure your device should has adequate battery power remaining and has the Pivotel SIM card inserted correctly (if appropriate).
Please switch the power on and fully extend the antenna. Ensure that you are outdoors and have an uninterrupted line of sight to the satellite. You should be in a clear open area away from any obstructions such as trees, hills/mountains, buildings, or powerlines.
If you are using the Thuraya satellite network the antenna should be pointed in the direction of the satellite. When using the phone in Australia the satellite that is used is located above Singapore which is to the north when in Western Australia and to the north-west in the other states. Once you have established connection, your screen/app will display “Thuraya or Thuraya Australia”.
If you are using the Inmarsat satellite network – the antenna should be pointed in the direction of the satellite:
- When using the phone in Australia or New Zealand the satellite that is used is located above Papua New Guinea which is to the north if you are in eastern or central Australia, north-east of you located in Western Australia and north-west if you re located in New Zealand. Once you have established connection your screen will display “Ready for service”.
- If you are using the Iridium satellite network – the antenna should be pointed straight up towards the sky and (not pointing horizontally or towards the ground). Once you have established a connection your screen will display “Registered”.
- If you are using the Globalstar satellite network – the antenna should be pointed straight up towards the sky and (not pointing horizontally or towards the ground). Once you have established a connection your screen will display a lowercase “i“ symbol. (This will be located under the battery icon).
If you have attempted your connection in a clear open area as above and are still experiencing connection issues, please call our friendly Pivotel Customer Care team on 1300 882 448 (Australia), or 0508 882 448 (New Zealand) for further assistance.
How do I access my voicemail?
Dial 121 from your satellite device or +61424 212121 from any other handset.
What format do I need to input and use to dial phone numbers that I am calling or messaging?
Pivotel recommends using international dialing format from your satellite phone service, this means dropping the leading 0 and then adding a + and the country code before the local numbers.
Australian Example: If you are calling an Australian mobile number 0433 333 333 you would use +61433 333 333, or for a landline 07 3333 3333 you would use +617 3333 3333.
New Zealand Example: If you are calling a New Zealand mobile 021 333 3333 you would use +6421 333 3333 or for a landline 06 333 3333 you would use +646 333 3333.
My device won’t connect to the network. Can you tell me why?
- You have a current connected service with Pivotel Satellite
- Your SIM has been inserted correctly into the device
- Enough battery power
- Clear line of sight to the relevant Satellite (click here to find out more)
- Service is not suspended or under credit action
If you have checked all the above and are still unable to use your service, please call Customer Care on 1300 882 448 (Australia) or 0508 882 448 (New Zealand) for assistance.